Thursday, July 26, 2012

fear and other unwanted guests

I just listened to Fear and Other Unwanted Guests. The author gave anxiety relief advice for dealing with fear, shame and guilt. I think what has stuck is a deeper understanding of my more negative emotions and how often they rule the day.  "Guilt is about doing shame is about being." Guilt is about regret and shame is about loathing. I feel bad about what I've done, am doing and will do and I feel  bad being too fat, bald, old, sick, slow, not good enough. I feel good that I can choose to do things I feel good about and only I get to judge who I am.

With sellingstrong I emphasize a positive approach to maximizing your strengths to minimize your weaknesses and this book stands in stark contrast. I have learned from self experience not to dwell to long on my faults. There are many, but I choose to not allow them to dominate and have accepted them as the price I've paid for having my strengths. I think what matters is how we cope with things. Being resilient, bouncing back, not being too hard on yourself, looking to your better self to see who you are, doing what energizes not what drains, doing what comes naturally verses through struggle. Doing the things that make you strong. Being the person who makes you proud.

Be yourself. Sell strong my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment